Monday 22 July 2013

PAX Australia: A long time coming (Part Two: Games and Hardware)


Welcome to part two of my PAX Australia: A Long Time Coming blog, if you haven't seen part one, click here to read it to see my experience of the main event itself. This post will be focusing on the games and hardware I checked out.


First off with the hardware as I'd like to talk about them very briefly before I get onto the games. On Saturday, I went in line (which was REALLY big by the way) to see Microsoft Presenting the Xbox One which they also had on display in the Expo Hall but was behind a glass case for certain times during the day. Trust me when I say I have a little rant planned for that later.

Anyway, one of the reps of Microsoft came up and discussed about what the Xbox One has in store that most of us probably knew like switching to TV on the fly and back again, optimal hardware, cloud saving and 1080P Skype calls then they showcased the Kinect 2.0 which to my surprise really showed off a lot of neat things on how it tracks your body as well as work in low lighting and has in place an "Active IR" sensor which on how they displayed seemed really impressive but since it's the Kinect, I don't think gamers like me will be wasting time or using it at all.

They also discussed about the controller on how it's seems similar but revamped to make it more comfy and engaging with the use of rumble in the triggers which actually seems very cool but it's more of something that you need to feel for yourself to know how you feel about it.

They then showed off the games they had for demos which were only 3 games that we already knew about. Two exclusives and one multiplatform title. Let's talk about them shall we?

Ryse: Son of Rome - A very grounded in reality, Roman-set, hack-n-slash game by Crytek originally as a Kinect title but now not so much. From what I've saw of it, I had worries it was going to be a QTE action game that people said but it's not the case here, they're only there for executions which they claim to have a hundred of (yeah right, I'll believe it when I see it) and visually looks great, the player had a bit of trouble but not so much at the end.

Battlefield 4 - A rep from EA discussed about how they want to make it as an engrossing story for players to experience and using motion capture with actors to make the drama feel more realistic but we all know most players will be focusing on the multiplayer of that game. They did mention vehicular combat and other aspects from MP into the main campaign but still. The game looks fantastic running at 60fps but really, I don't think I'll be getting it as it looks way too similar to BF 3 that I just don't care but they also mentioned a map pack to come out first on the Xbox One but really I don't give a shit.

Killer Instinct - This is the one game I've been really excited about. I never played the older KI games so I can't really say on how this one is going but despite some of the usual decisions to promote the game, I think it looks impressive even if I'm still weary about the developer behind it. It runs at 60fps like Street Fighter IV and Mortal Kombat and the game itself looks like a lot of fun but lack of an ultra combo at the end was a minor disappointment. Even the rep himself said that.

After that, they also explained the best feature of the Xbox One having a built-in gaming DVR which you can record gameplay and share it with others as well as Twitch integration for livestreaming. While I do want to know if I can add recorded videos to my computer and still hasn't answered that, it's still an awesome feature regardless. So that was pretty much it besides stating the release is in November and they showcased the reveal trailer of Halo 5 that we already know about and I honestly don't care as I was leaving the main theater.

So the presentation was okay but that leads to my rant about Micosoft's appearance at PAX this year. So skip over if you don't want to read but if you want to see, get ready.

Microsoft's appearance other than to promote and showcase the Xbox One is nothing more than meaningless because they still didn't address the concerns about the Kinect being required, does Xbox Live Gold still needed to play online or any other matter that affects the system due to the poor PR they showed at the reveal earlier this year. But the worst of all is that they didn't have any demos for people to play at the Expo Hall. All you had was the system on display for a very limited amount of time and no one can get a feel of the controller with it's rumble triggers or try out the new games that they showcased at E3. Instead of playing them at PAX, you have to play them at the EB Games Expo in October which is happening in Queensland which really hurts those who don't have the effort or money to fly over there like myself. I would love to go there some day but I don't have the money, time or effort to do that this year.

So this was somewhat of a missed opportunity for Microsoft to regain the lost buyers even with the DRM removed and while it may be sold out at pre-orders (in America at least), it's still annoying whatever the case may be.

Okay, that's the end of the rant, let's talk about something more interesting with...



The MOGA Mobile Controller. This has been hyped for some time now and now we get a chance to feel it at PAX. A lot of big developers for Android gaming apps are working with it and it's great to see a controller being made for a more core gamer who prefer not to use the touch screens for certain games like Dead Trigger, Dungeon Hunter 4 or even Sonic The Hedgehog. While the normal version they had felt pretty good but the analog pads felt rather off when compared to the analog pad on the Nintendo 3DS as it had a more concave feel to keep my thumbs in place rather than slipping off. Luckily, they also had a Pro version that I got to feel which was bigger but way more comfortable and featured a D-pad which the basic version lacks. They had original versions on sale for pre-release for $59 as it will come out to EB Games and Target later this year with the Pro version coming down later.

I never been into mobile gaming and I sadly own an iPad for all of my gaming app needs but if I ever do get a better phone or an Android tablet, I might consider picking the pro version of the MOGA Mobile Controller up! It was a pleasant feeling.



Now for the biggest accessory I got to try out which was the Oculus Rift, after waiting an hour in line to speak to the VP of Product manager Nate for a few interesting questions. I got the chance to check out their updated version of the 3D VR goggles (which was a development kit by the way) which goes up to 1080P and was displaying the Unreal Engine 4 at 60fps. I tried a pair of the original 720P developer's kit and while the motion tracking was neat, it was very fuzzy and had a lot of issues with the resolution. The new version was more crisp, detailed and in your face but still had to try and get used to it as it's hard to see properly with all of the 3D imagery in the way but it does showcase how cool it is with a lot of particle effects and details that the Unreal Engine 4 can do and it pulls it off amazingly at a smooth motion. Like you're actually in the game.

They don't have a set date but hoping it'll sell around the $300 price tag, if it gets lower and if I see a game on the PC that I could see working with it for a more immersive experience, I may actually pick one up.

Now to the moment you've all been waiting for...


THE GAMES!!!

I'm gonna start off with some of the big releases then work me way to the indie side as there was quite a lot of games they've showcased. So let's start off with.


Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z - What do you do when you take a beloved yet challenging franchise and collaborate with Mega Man/Dead Rising creator Keiji Inafune? You add zombies to the mix! This spin-off plays very similar to Ninja Gaiden in every aspect which is excellent and the addition of using zombies as weapons makes the gameplay more fun than it already is but my only problems are on how the fans will take this considering the new look, character and style and you press the jump button to dash rather than hold the block button than press a direction.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 - A sequel to a sleeper hit reboot of a classic franchise. It's practically the same game but with a lot of refinements like camera control, enhanced detail in the visuals and plays the same as the original but with a lot of refinements to the combat making it more diverse using different abilities and weapons and the sound design is fantastic.

Super Mario 3D World - Similar to Super Mario 3D Land on the 3DS but with 4-player co-op and introduces the Cat-suit that can help you climb walls and attack enemies easier. It's pretty fun but won't be seeing myself getting it straight away.

Sonic Lost World - The Wii U version didn't make an appearance but the 3DS version did and it's a lot better than the 3DS port of Sonic Generations but it's rather slower than most Sonic games because I feel they wanted to make it more of a basic platformer than just always speed as you now have a run button but what's cool is the level design, new tricks like the parkour system and other neat little things to make it a rather interesting entry in the Sonic franchise.

Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds - A sequel to one of the fan favourites of the lengendary series, A Link to the Past. It features the same gameplay with the top-down view and features an ability to traveling along the walls. It's very easy to pick up and play and to have fun exploring. Not a fan of Zelda but this is something I'd like to try out.

Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD - The Gamecube gem which had a bit of a mixed reception with the fans comes back for a second chance with an enhanced coat of paint and a few tweaks added into it. Just as fun as any other 3D Zelda game and cannot wait to check it out.

Rayman Legends - The follow-up to the awesome Rayman Origins which was a Wii U exclusive but now on all platforms (except PC which will come soon they say). If you loved Origins, you'll be wanting this game. 'Nuff said.

Flashback - A HD remake of the cult classic cinematic platformer from the 90s with a lot of tweaks and enhancements to make the game more accessible for a newer audience and already, I'm keen on checking it out when it's released.

The Epic Quest for Mighty Loot - A free-to-play title which you can infiltrate another players castle to steal their loot if you can avoid the traps and enemies placed in your way but be careful they can do the same to your castle, so be well guarded! An action-RPG with tower defense aspects sounds crazy but it's really cool. Might give it a go.

I did sit down to check out a presentation of Watch_Dogs at the Ubisoft booth but the problem with that was the presentation only showed an introduction from the Creative Director and footage of the game we've seen back at E3, nothing new. At least, I got a free poster while I was there.




Now with the big games out of the way, let's move to the indie titles as there as a lot and some of them very interesting.

Freedom Fall - You play as a prince who gets duped by an evil Princess and have to go down a big castle from the top to the bottom while avoiding devious traps. Reminds me a lot of Super Meat Boy but a bit more slower paced and it's pretty fun with it's 2D artstyle and silly humor. Out on iOS, Android and Ouya, hoping to come to PC via Steam Greenlight when gotten enough votes.

Zombitsu - An endless runner with action-RPG elements and a level of open-ended platforming. Pretty fun but it's more of a time waster which is a perfect fit for Android phones. Also coming to the Ouya.

MacGuffin's Curse - Now available on Steam, a comedy werewolf puzzle game from Brawsome, the developers behind Jolly Rover. A pretty straight-forward but interesting puzzle game.

Burden - A tower defense game where you place turrets on a giant titan as it tries to deviler cargo from one place to another while being attacked by enemies. It has an organic atmosphere in the game that is well suited with a really good soundtrack. The gameplay isn't my thing but I can see it working with a lot of people who are fans.

Framed - You control what happens to the fate of a framed man on the run from the law as you swap comic panels to progress through the story. Reminds me a lot of Ghost Trick with the concept of changing fate of the main character within the setting of a Noir comic-book. I liked it and it's coming out on iOS and PC soon.

So that's pretty much it, there were others but didn't get a chance to play them or just wasn't interested.

So this concludes my blog about my experience at PAX Australia. Finally glad a new gaming convention has come to Melbourne after a long time and for some photos, be sure to check out my Facebook or Deviantart page for some of the shots I took and I'll probably link my video on PAX itself once it's done.

But with all that said, thank you for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment